- to ensure that every inmate is secured in safe and humane custody, within a correctional facility, until lawfully discharged or removed therefrom;
- to render health care to inmates;
- as far as practicable, to apply such rehabilitation programmes and other meaningful and constructive activities to sentenced offenders that contribute to their rehabilitation and successful reintegration into community as law abiding citizens;
- to supervise offenders who are on conditional release;
- to perform all work necessary for, arising from, or incidental to, the effective management, administration and control of correctional facilities and community correctional centres; and
- to perform such other functions as the President may from time to time assign to the Correctional Service.