The Department Correctional Operation in one of the three Departments in the Namibian Correctional Service (NCS). The Department is headed by a Deputy Commissioner-General (DCG). The aim of the Department Correctional Operation is to ensure effective management of correctional operations within the NCS. The Department has several functions geared to the achievement of this aim. These functions include:
- ensuring provision of need oriented rehabilitation programmes and safe reintegration of offenders;
- ensuring the establishment and effective functioning of operational support;
- ensuring effective investigations of incidents and performance assurance;
- ensuring security within the Service;
- ensuring the effective handling of inmates’ affairs;
- ensuring effective and appropriate treatment of female and juvenile offenders; and
- ensuring appropriate provision of health care services to offenders.
To effectively and efficiently fulfil these functions, the Department is divided in five Directorates and two special Divisions.
The following are the Directorates under the Department:
Directorate Rehabilitation and Reintegration
This Directorate is responsible for ensuring the rendering of psychological services, programme and research services, community corrections services, educational services, religious care services and case management services.
Directorate Operational Support
This Directorate is responsible for ensuring the establishment and effective functioning of correctional industries and the effective provision of logistical services.
Directorate Investigations and Performance Assurance
This Directorate is responsible for ensuring effective investigations of incidents and the rendering of performance assurance services.
This Directorate is responsible for ensuring the provision of security vetting, the rendering of preventive and physical security and emergency risk management services and for ensuring the establishment and effective functioning of the Emergency Response Unit.
Directorate Health Care Services
This Directorate is responsible for ensuring the rendering of nursing services, pharmaceutical services and HIV/AIDS services.
The following are the Divisions under the Department:
Division Inmate Affairs
This Division is responsible for effective handling of inmate affairs.
Division Female and Juvenile Offenders
This Division is responsible for the effective and appropriate treatment of female and juvenile offenders.